Wednesday, June 8, 2011

The longest night of my life.

To cut a long story short, if there is one night I will always remember, it will be this night. It was a night like no other night. Whenever I heard the statement "Life hits you in the head with a brick ...” I never knew quite what they meant, but after this night I know what it feels like.

It had been a long day at work, five meetings, six cups of coffee, and never ending lines of code running before my eyes. It was little past 11 PM. It was time to go home.

I thought that I will just run a query on TOAD and get out of the office. The whole day I have been running lots of queries returning millions of transaction numbers ….Felt like I was caught in a Matrix world…

Even the TOAD was too slow after a hectic day of running queries…..

I just pressed execute and waited to see the results…The query slowly started executing…It was printing one transaction number after another….nothing great in that ….I just waited for the query to end….But there was something peculiar in the way the query was executing today…I could sense the strangeness in the air. But the TOAD kept executing the query. Then all of a sudden the unexpected started happening… The transaction numbers were falling out of the output window….I rubbed by eyes…”How the hell cans this happen!!!! Is there some bug in TOAD??”…..Now the numbers were falling on to the Windows desktop….I watched open mouthed….There was a flurry of numbers. I could see big blobs of data struggling their way from CPU towards the monitor…The whole monitor was expanding like a balloon…it was going to burst any moment and going to spill the precious data… There will be chaos …the highly successful Conversion we did is going to be thwarted….our client will have to work using paper and pen again….I prayed desperately… “Please god…save our data…plzzzz”...the balloon kept expanding…and Booom….The balloon burst spilling out the transaction numbers…I tried to cover the hole in the monitor using my body….But still some of them were spilling out…the whole office floor was full of them…They were flowing towards the door…I was being drowned in the flood of the transaction numbers….i couldn't breath, my whole wasteful life was staring at me…I was about to die….One last time…I screamed…”Help…Help…somebody help me….i am drowning…Help…”

There was a pat on my shoulder…. "Sir … sona hai tho ghar me jaakke sona…kyon bhaakki logon ko pareshan karthe hai"…the security guard asked looking at me.

Maybe it was time for the seventh cup of coffee.

No comments: